Friday, July 18, 2014

Being Metaphorically Rich in Family and Friends





 Not too long ago, I ran across a folder of old writing assignments from high school.  They included stories of Care Bears and unicorns, as well as my favorite, called 'Soap Opera Society', in which I do a pretty impressive treatise of class structure based on soap opera characters.  A future blog post, perhaps?



Anyway, I found this essay about my mom, dated 10/31/85.  Now, I might be completely crazy, but I don't remember feeling this much teenage angst about my mom.  But, being the mom of a couple of teenagers myself, I realize she may remember it as much worse than this.  It did make me laugh, though, and decided to post it here for moms with angsty kids everywhere.





                                                                 Her Shining Face

Sure, there are times when I feel I can't stand her (Wow...).  Sometimes, I just want to yell at her and tell her to leave me alone.  I get flusterated (yep, that is the word I used.  Don't know if I was trying to cute, or if I was just clueless) when she tries to make me as perfect as she can.  But, I still love her with all my heart, even through the rough times.
 
My mother wants the best for me.  She doesn't mean to be pushy, but at times she is.  She gets on to me for my grades, my clothes, or some other little thing, and sometimes I just blow up (I remember NO blowups.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it).  I don't even stop to consider what would happen if one day she wasn't around for me when I needed her.  I seldom think of all the time, money, and most of all, love that she spends on not only me, but the rest of my family as well.

My mother is the one who encourages me to be the best I can be.  Sometimes, though, I become discouraged because I don't think I can achieve what she knows I can.  If it hadn't been for my mother, I would never have made it through Junior Miss, and I certainly would not have won first alternate or the scholastic award (and most definitely not the award for highest ticket sales, since she sold them for me at work.  And, yes, there was actually a trophy for that).  She motivated me into wanting to win.  It wasn't something she wanted for herself, but for me.  It was when I realized this that I finally felt I had a chance. (I think she saw the writing on the wall a few hours before the competition, though, when I told her how I responded to one of the pre-interview questions--"Are you rich?".  My answer, "No.  I don't even have a job".  I don't think they wanted such a literal answer--LOL).

I'll never forget what my mother did for me during Junior Miss (wow, enough about Junior Miss, already!), or all the other little things she does that I know will continue.  I only hope that even when times are bad, I'll be able to see her shining face to pull me through.


Isn't she lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment