|My favorite flowers ever|
Back when I first started using Facebook, there was a 5 minute fad going around called '16 Random Things'. The idea was that everyone would make a list on a Facebook Note (remember those?) of 16 random facts about themselves without putting a lot of thought or analysis into it. I read back over my list several days ago, and it made me smile--some out of the simpleness of the things I listed, and some out of my naivete. I know I liked the things I learned from other folks' lists back then, and figured I would copy my old list on here now (with updated commentary in purple).
1. My favorite flowers in the world are the little white garlic flowers that grow everywhere in Mississippi in the spring. Many uninformed consider them to be weeds, but they are wrong. I hate spider lilies and any flower that has been spray painted blue.
2. I was a vegan for 7 years. I am still a vegetarian and do not eat white flour or white sugar. It is a health thing, not a hippie thing. Now we eat organic/free range meat and eggs.
3. Speaking of hippies, I generally feel much more welcome at Rainbow (organic grocery) than I do at church. Hmm...
4. I can pinpoint many 80's songs to the month they hit the top 40. However, I can't remember my kids names half the time. Make that the majority of the time now. They are just all called by my dog's name or my little brother's name now.
5. I'm not a fan of the prosperity gospel or it "prophets". If it were true, my grandparents would not have been financially poor all of their lives. I'm just sayin'. The prosperity gospel is the idea that God wants everyone to be rich and healthy, and if you just have enough faith (or give enough money), then you will have these things. My grandparents taught me the meaning of faith, more than any of the 'name it and claim it' folks on TV.
6. I'm becoming a fan of adult alternative music. I have no idea what categorizes a song as such, but I like when that channel is on.
7. I have lived in 6 different places in 3 years. Have lived in 3 more places since then.
8. I am one of the least judgmental people I know in regards to past mistakes.
9. I think racism is horrible, and images or reports of it make me cry every time I see them. Every. Single. Time.
10. I love being around water (the nature kind), and see God everywhere around it. I want to go swimming at Dalewood in pre-hurricane force winds. I want a mini Viking funeral at Dalewood, too. Dalewood is the lake/community I grew up in. I did the hurricane swim last summer. AWESOME.
11. I miss Allyce. My cousin, who was killed in a car wreck when we were both in college. If I had a girl, her middle name would have been Allycy.
12. Gilmore Girls is my favorite all time TV show. Still
13. I have been an adjunct college professor for 10 years. I love it and it keeps me sane. Well, theoretically anyway. I have not been able to teach since my car wreck. I no longer have the endurance or mental 'with it ness' to do it. I was pretty darn good at it, though.
14. I never answer my phone and am very slow about returning calls or emails, if ever. I'm a pretty poor excuse of a friend/family member. At least I am aware of that fact, though. It's nothing personal. Still
15. My favorite colors are red and yellow, and my favorite foods are cheese pizza and tater tots. I hate cooking now.
16. My lifelong dream has been to go on a Mediterranian cruise, with extended time in Greece. Still
|Dalewood - no hurricane force winds, but 3 hurricane force boys|
And for good measure, I have added a few more.
17. I was in a car wreck almost 3 years ago. I broke both of my knees and a bone in my hand. I will never have full function of my knees, and can only bend them halfway. I thought this would be a defining life moment. Until...
18. My oldest son was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago. Now we are all very, very tired.
19. I never thought I would embrace electronic books, but it is just becoming way too convenient to just do it.
I think that is about all. For now, anyway.