Monday, April 30, 2012

Danny and Annie (like Carl and Ellie)

A couple of years ago, after I was released from the rehab hospital following a car accident that broke both of my knees and a bone in my hand, I discovered a radio show on public radio that came on the one time of the week that I was ever alone--Sunday morning when everyone else was at church.  It is called On Being (formerly Speaking of Faith), and has the tagline line that it 'is an in-depth conversation about religion, meaning, ethics and ideas'.

I really liked listening to the broadcasts, which were part religion, part sociology, part philosophy, and part psychology.  Some of the segments were a little out there, but for the most part it was very soul healing for me to be able to tune in each week and listen in on what someone else had to say about their take on life.  Sometimes it was irrelevant, but always interesting.

Now, with Harrison being sick and not being able to get out very often except for doctor appointments, I find myself at home again on most Sunday mornings.  Yesterday, I was able to hear the broadcast called 'Remembering Mortality'.  The host interviewed a man named  Dr. Ira Byock , who was one of the first advocates for palliative and hospice care.  He was diagnosed with terminal cancer not too long ago, which added a whole new insight into end of life issues for him, including how important it is to make peace with your past if at all possible.  I jotted down a couple of quotes he said:

--"One person gets a diagnosis; a whole family gets an illness".

--"Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past"--quoting Lily Tomlin

The end of the broadcast included a recording of a couple as part of the StoryCorps project.  It was so sweet, and I almost made it through the entire story without tearing up.  Almost.  Well, today the onBeing Facebook page posted an animated version of their story.  I loved it and wanted to share it here.  It is about 5 minutes long.  Watch at your own risk, especially if you are wearing make-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment