Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thank You, Dr. Seuss

wikipedia.org


We went and did a normal thing yesterday.  We went to see a movie, The Lorax.

I grew up with Dr. Seuss.  Among my favorite books are Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now?, And To Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street, and Green Eggs and Ham.  They were always such fun books, and I still have my personal copies of a few of his books from back in the day.  However, I had never even heard of The Lorax until about 10 years ago, when we were new to Netflix and were looking for something different to order.

The Lorax was a cartoon made in typical 70s animation style, with quirky music and funky colors. I liked the story well enough, and it fit in well with our newly adopted vegan lifestyle.  The main line of dialogue that The Lorax had was, "I am the Lorax.  I speak for the trees".  Harrison had just dressed up as a tree hugger (yes, I am serious) for Halloween, so he would run around the house spouting that line.  We eventually hunted down the book at the library, and enjoyed the story that way as well.

It turns out that the book caused something of a controversy when it was published in 1971.  It was taken to be an anti-capitalist/environmentalism propaganda piece aimed at hippie children and marketed to newly integrated school systems to 'further break down the moral fabric of society'.  It had pre-Fox News commentary written all over it.  I don't know how much it influenced kids of that time, seeing as how I am one of them and had never even heard of it.

With it being released on the big screen, I guess there is the probability of more and more kids knowing about it now.  Going into the theater with a little understanding of the backstory, I can definitely see those influences there, and if I had either the time or the inclination, I would probably write about the societal implications embedded in the messages, both good and bad.  But I don't have either, so I guess I'll just say this--

The Lorax--good, original story.  Very good animation.  Everyone liked it, Captialists included.

The ticket - $5.50
3-D added price - $3.00 (I know, I know--insane)
Doing something normal before headed back in for chemo tomorrow - priceless

mamapop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment