Thursday, January 26, 2012

Expensive Urine

A couple of days ago, when Harrison was first admitted to the cancer ward,  I brought along several bags--clothes, electronics, etc.  One of those bags contained several bottles of nutritional supplements that have been recommended to help mitigate the whole chemo process, along with a list explaining the dosages and reasons he should take them.  Now, normally, I just leave that whole section blank on medical admission forms, because I learned early on that most doctors I have come into contact with place absolutely no stock in the use of supplements for any disease/condition whatsoever.  I have heard their mini-lectures about how they are just a waste of money.  I have learned to just listen and nod, and then do what I think I need to do anyway.

My oldest son is 15, and we went from conventional medicine knowledge only to about as naturopathic as you can get after he was diagnosed with severe reflux as a baby and 'their' medicine was no longer working.  Our ways worked, and have served us well for many years.

Now, we are slightly out of our comfort zone with this whole cancer thing.  I understand the dangers and toxicity of not just the chemo, but all of the scans and hydration and ancillary meds.  It is something we have to do anyway.  So, as requested multiple times by various hospital personnel and admission forms, I provided full disclosure of what I plan to supplement with this week, and from here on out.  I don't want to unknowingly cause some interaction that would make his condition worse.

This doesn't mean that I am about to just turn his health over to these professionals willy-nilly.  I WILL continue to seek out ways to lessen the negative effects of this whole thing however I can.  I know many of them are not proven (possibly because aren't being studied by government approved/funded agencies?  Hmm?).  I know that I might be shooting in the dark.  I know that this could possibly just turn out to give my son 'expensive urine', as his pharmacist pointed out today in a very polite, yet condescending, way.

I had an epiphany of sorts when I was helping Harrison get in and out of the bathroom.  At this point in the chemo process, so much of how he is doing is being monitored and measured by his urine, both the amount and the quality of it.  As he was dragging his IV pole back and forth, which currently has 5 different bags of something or other attached and dripping into him, it hit me.  You want to talk about expensive urine?  I can guarantee that the amount of money I spent on that bag of supplements (that will last a month) isn't even a drop in the bucket of how much those bags of poison cost, and they will be replaced numerous times throughout the day/week/year.  Now, THAT is some expensive urine.

I'm just hoping my expensive urine will help counteract their expensive urine.

No comments:

Post a Comment