Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spicy Water = Perrier




Today's blog question:  What is your favorite book store?


Ooh, I do like book stores.  All kinds and sizes.  The earliest one I remember was called Bookland at the Village Fair Mall.  My mom liked to read as much as I did, so we would spend quite a lot of time there if we were at the mall.  I don't know what kind books she looked at, but I would always head straight to the back right corner--the kid's section.  I'm pretty sure looking back on it that I wasn't supposed to do this, but I would pick out something that looked good, and just sit down on the floor and read until mom said it was time to go.

Bookland (and that mall) have long since closed down, but my love for book stores has remained strong.  I like Borders and Barnes & Noble as much as the next person, but my current favorite is an independent book store called Lemuria.  It is not a huge store, but it feels like walking into a real book land with the extra high celings and every inch of wall space covered floor to ceiling with books of all kinds and sizes.  There are nooks and crannies, with book displays in the aisles.  There is a Mississippi section (Mississippians have written A LOT of good stuff) and an absolutely amazing kid section called Oz.  They sponsor all kinds of book readings and signings, and the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.  I like the overwhelming 'bookiness' of it all.

It doesn't feel like a book mill that is just promoting the book du jour.  It seems to be promoting a pure love for and appreciation of books.  Not to mention that right downstairs is a bakery that sells the most amazing bread and hummus and spicy water.  A good book, a croissant, and a decaf cafe au lait.  What could be better than that?


No comments:

Post a Comment