Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Osama bin Laden and armpits

It has been a very interesting 24 hours.  It was just about this time last night when most of the main TV stations had gone from their regular programs to await a statement by President Obama.  My husband and I were waiting to see what it would be, since it is very rare for a President to call a press conference on a Sunday at such a late time.  We speculated along with Facebook friends about what could be going on until it became known that Osama bin Ladin had been killed by a group of Navy Seals earlier that day.

Needless to say, this has been THE news item everywhere, and the subject of many Facebook and Twitter posts.  This is understandable, given the enormity of the situation.  However, I have been more and more discouraged over the tone of many of the posts I am reading.  Most people have very strong opinions on the matter, which is fine with me.  People whose opinions I respect have widely different views on it all.  Far extreme comments on all sides are quoting Scriptures to back up their opinions, and are not only convinced their insights are the best, but some are attacking each other for not holding to a particular party line.  For example, one of my friends shared a blog post that showed a picture of Jesus washing OBL's feet in an act of service.  Some understood the sentiment that Jesus died for OBL as well as themselves.  Others went ballistic, arguing (in a mean spirited manner) that they were offended by the image and its implications.  Of course Jesus is thrilled to have OBL taken out, so take that, you @#$%^&, which was then followed by another Bible verse.  Meanwhile, people all over who are skeptical of Jesus followers at best read on, and many are left with a bad taste about God.

I have my own opinions about God's take on it all.  The older I get, the more acutely I realize that the old saying hold a lot of truth:  opinions are like armpits; everybody has them and a lot of times they stink. I've learned it is best if I don't try to speak for God, at least about matters I am not absolutely certain about.  There are some things I KNOW to be true, though. Things like:

--God made me special, and He loves me very much (thanks, Bob and Larry)
--I'm just a sinner, saved by grace.
--He's still working on me, to make me what I ought to be.  It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars, the sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.  How loving and patient He must be--He's still working on me.
--Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.  Because He lives, all fear is gone.
--Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so.
--Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world.  Red, brown, yellow, black and white.  They are precious in His sight.  Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Like so many other truths in my life, these are set to music.  I could go on and on, but I won't.  The dryer is about to quit and I don't want the clothes to get wrinkled.  One thing I am absolutely certain about is this:  There is a God, and I am not Him.  That helps me keep a reign on my words.  Most of the time, anyway.

That being said, I do want to share one tweet my husband received on Sunday night.  Not because it is true.  I just thought it was funny:

"Now we know why there was no Season 9 of '24'.  Good job, Jack."

(And there goes to dryer buzzer--time to get back to my real world.)

I hope you all have a blessed day.  And please remember to pray for those affected by the tornadoes last week.  Such devastation, as well as endless opportunities for people to be the real hands and feet of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment