Monday, April 4, 2011

Invisible Child - Omniscient God

A link to a blog showed up on my Facebook news feed today.  The title sounded interesting, so I clicked on and read it.  It was actually interesting and thought provoking.  The gist of it was that of a mother (the blog writer) watching as her daughter is continually ignored by other girls in social situations.  I think many parents can relate to her feelings of frustration and disappointment for her daughter--lots of us have weird, quirky kids that aren't necessarily appreciated like we wish they would be.  You can read her post 'When Your Child is Invisible' here.

Toward the end of her post, the writer wrote this:

Frankly, though, I am not a religious person and I don’t believe there is a higher power who could intercede on this hard road my little girl is traveling. I believe that it is down to us human beings here on this earth to regulate ourselves. I believed that the only way my child would get chosen for Little Sally Walker would be because someone noticed her and realized that she may want to participate in the game.


And then, a little later:


I don’t believe there is a god who will help us with this. I believe it’s up to us – to you, to me, to your kids, to my kids, to teachers, to playground monitors, to camp counselors, to Girl Scout leaders and bus drivers and cheerleaders.


My initial thought was, "How could she not see that since her daughter was picked after she voiced a prayer to no one in particular, that maybe there actually was a God that answered?".  I then said a quick prayer for her--this mom who is raising a daughter in a cruel, dog eat dog world.  If a parent doesn't believe in a God that makes each and every person special, then how can they not despair if their children don't fit into the perfect mold?  How do you teach the importance of valuing yourself and others simply because they 'are', and not because of what they look like or how socially adept they are, without some perfect standard to provide a true measure of worth?

I can't imagine trying to raise my 3 children without the assurance that someone bigger than me has their back, and is much more interested in their social development than I am.  Not social development in the world's economy, but in God's economy.  I was reminded of the countless hours of Veggie Tales, and Adventures in Odyssey, and Little Bill, and Sesame Street invested in my boys.  And Sunday School, and Scouts, and mission trips.  All providing a foundation for worth and character that will never be taught by society at large.

I'm just reminded of the feelings of futility and frustration of navigating life and parenting apart from the shelter of Christ. We live in a time when some people think they have to do it all on their own, and that makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment