Saturday, April 2, 2011

All By Myself...

I am by myself.  Everyone else in my house has gone fishing or something.  It doesn't matter where they are, because I am here.  Alone.  That is very rare for me and I have realized that the way I spend these alone times is very different from what it was just a few years ago.  Whenever all the boys would go to the grandparents for a few days (or hours), I would clean.  Or work on scrapbooks.  Or go out to eat and see a movie (I have never been one of those that was embarrassed to go out by myself).  Things are different now.  It makes no sense to do any cleaning other than the basics.  It would only last for about 2 minutes after they walked in the door anyway.  I would need about a month to even make a dent in those scrapbooks, and it is just easier to not even eat for a while.  Cheaper, with less clean up.

Now, silence is a luxury, so I stay holed up and listen to nothing I don't want to.  No questions, no fights to deal with, not a single "Mom!".  The noise of choice today is Pandora music.  I am very late getting on this boat, but it is amazing.  I just type in either Jimmy Buffett or Frank Sinatra, and those computer powers-that-be send me the best music.  If I don't like it, I just tap a button and it is gone.  How nice.

I am rambling now, but I've been thinking about cool stuff I've discovered in the few hours they've been gone, and wanted to share them here, because they are very intriguing and interesting.

1.  The latest video by the Skit Guys.  I have always loved the story they are talking about.  Go tell the disciples AND PETER (not Simon.  Still Peter).  Here it is:  http://skitguys.com/videos/item/grace/

2.  A blog by an old college friend.  We worked together one summer at a GA camp, and I lost touch with her after that, until Facebook (of course).  She has one of the most encouraging blogs I am aware of.  She is the mom of 4 amazing kids, including 2 sons who have Cerebral Palsy.  You really should check her out at

3.  I actually watched a movie on TV last night.  It came out in 2001, so I was busy with babies then, but I am glad I finally saw it.  It is called 'I am Sam', starring Sean Penn and a very young Dakota Fanning, and was about a 'retarded' man whose daughter is taken by social services because they say he isn't able to adequately take care of her.  It was interesting and thought provoking, with excellent acting.  I don't know, I just liked it, in a sad, disturbing kind of way.

Here's one last epiphany for the day:  Moms don't think in terms of whether or not the glass is half empty or half full.  They just know that they are going to be the ones that have to clean that glass eventually.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment