Monday, March 21, 2011

Why I Blog

Having a blog isn't something I ever set out to do.  I only broke down and set an account up a couple of years ago because it was a requirement for a year-long review gig I had with a homeschool review site.  I had to google how to set one up, and to this day it remains a bare minimum/no frills blog.  I set this particular account up a few months ago when it hit me that my kids have no idea what I think or believe about much of anything.  Because here's the thing--I have thoughts on just about everything.  I listen to liberal and conservative and Christian radio and can pretty much give an informed opinion about most anything.  The only thing is, nobody asks anymore.  Most of that is just the reality of being a stay at home mom with kids still at home, so I don't take it personally.  However, I don't want my kids to become grown men thinking all their mom did was cook and clean (because of course what they will probably remember is that having breakfast for dinner usually meant everyone going to get their own cereal).  One of the reasons I loved teaching college classes so much was that it gave me an outlet of sorts to finally be able to talk about what I wanted without being interrupted for food/drink/diaper/blood cleanups (poor students).  Since I don't have that outlet anymore, here we are.

So, in no particular order, this is why I blog:

1.  I was excited to see that blogspot has a feature where they will print and bind any and all posts throughout the year.  I think I will definitely take advantage of this because it makes me feel better about no longer journaling like I used to do.  It makes me feel like I'm not just wasting time by typing, and if I get around to buying one of those books, maybe the boys will think to look through it one day.

2.  Freebies - simply having a blog entitles me to sign up to review things like books and DVDs.  Every week or so I receive a package in the mail of a free book I actually got to pick out, and all I have to do is write a short review.  My plan has always been to then give them away to whoever thinks they might like the book, too.  So far, very few people have indicated any interest in them, so I am going to have to start sending them out to people as little 'happies'.  Oh, yes.  Free is good.

3.  Creative outlet - I feel like I have something to say, if only to me.

4.  A different voice - I have spent some time lately trolling through other random blogs.  I have found a LOT of them that have the tagline "Ooh, I am the most happy person in the world, a flawed but willing vessel with an amazing husband and 4 talented children.  We grow all our own food and make lapbooks about it after family devotions, which are led by the 3 year old on her violin.  Check out our commemorative craft selections".  Or, they are full of trash and totally unnecessary bad words.  I am SURE there are many fun, inspiring blogs in the middle, and I will keep looking.  In the meantime, I will be writing from the perspective of a tired, middle-aged mom who is so glad one kid got off to public school this morning but dreading that I have two more about to get up and be homeschooled.  I have done homeschooling for 10 years, and it is no longer fun or inspiring or carefree (for them or me).  My 'fifth grader' can't spell or remember his multiplication tables and the high schooler probably can but all he does is grunt nowadays, so I can't quite be sure.  Believe me, I know all about flawed vessels, and I am their queen.

5.  I think this is an amazing way to connect.  OK, maybe not with my blog personally, since I doubt hardly anyone will ever read it.  But in our disconnected, fast paced world, I now have a place to complete a sentence, at least on screen, without getting interrupted or losing my train of thought.  Where else can I express thoughts about facebook, racism, gluten-free cupcakes, Desperate Housewives, and boys with lizard hands, among all the other things that I deal with every day?

6.  I want to make others feel good and validated, particularly with regards to their worth in Christ.  We don't all have to supermoms that are crafty and stylish (thank goodness).  Store bought bread is fine.  Don't compare yourself with the wheat grinders.  They have to deal with their own guilt about not being wheat growers first**.  My thoughts on that are best summed up by Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber:  "Remember, God made you special, and He loves you very much".

Time to teach Algebra now.  Yay (not!).

**To any wheat growing/grinding/making a craft out of the chaff readers that might ever stumble on to this:  you are my heroes.  Seriously.  Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment