Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Storms

This was originally posted on Facebook several months ago by a lady in my church named Patience Crockett.  It was written less than 2 weeks after her 16 year old son's funeral.  He committed suicide.  I add that because to me it adds that much more meaning to Patience's words and God's heart to want to heal her pain.  This is what she wrote:

Storms( corrected version)

by Patience Crockett on Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 7:52pm

In Matthew 14:22 - 23
     We can be in the center of God's will and still go through terrible storms!  Christ calls us to walk by faith through our storms.  It seems like a big requirement until we realize Christ does far more than that--He walks on the water during our storms.  Christ is in charge and He is right there with us.  Christ walked on the water before he calmed the storm.  If he had simply calmed the storm, the disciples would have missed His majesty.  His majesty was the whole point!  The goal of life is not the absence of pain.  It is the presence of God and the glory of God.
     One of the most powerful, though difficult, lessons we all need to learn on our spiritual journey is that even when bad things happen and we do not understand why, we can trust God to be present and working on our behalf.  I have experienced how God has entered a heartbreaking situation and, by revealing His presence, love, strength, resources, and specific guidance, created a path through the most painful storms.  The words of Don Moen's song "God Will Make a Way" say it well:
        
                       God will make a way
                       When there seems to be no way
                       He works in way we cannot see
                       He will make a way for me
                       He will be my guide
                       Hold me closely to his side
                      With love and strength for each new day
                      He will make a way
     I use to be the parent who would say that I could never make it through life if I ever lost a child.  What I did not realize is that God never allows anything to happen to us that He cannot see us through!  I have been blessed to experience His presence through my storm!  His grace is sufficient and He alone can give you strength to face each day. God is providing for me what I cannot provide for myself each day!   I know that He is faithful and true and that He loves me and still has a plan for my life and for my family.  I know that I will not have all my questions of "why" answered, but what I do know is the character of my God and this gives me hope for each day.
     I was blessed to have been Brandon's mother for 16 wonderful years.  I have nothing but good memories of an incredible son who taught me many lessons in life.  I will miss him terribly and my heart will be forever scared from his departure.  I want to thank all the people who came and ministered to our family during this difficult time.  You were really the hands and feet of God to us and your prayers have helped to see us through.  Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment