Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gnomeo and Juliet

I took the boys to see the movie Gnomeo and Juliet today.  It wasn't a movie I was particularly looking forward to going to see.  I had read the review at Plugged In Online to make sure there weren't any unwelcome surprises, but it didn't give a very good indication that it would actually be interesting.  But, IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES I HAVE SEEN IN A WHILE.  I know, crazy, right?  It was original, funny, well written, good music, and interesting.  It wasn't Oscar material or anything, but I wasn't sitting there counting the minutes until it was over, either.  For people familiar with the original Romeo and Juliet, numerous references were made throughout the movie, adding to the fun of it.  We did not see it in 3-D, because that is just over and above wasted money in my opinion, but did not see too many shots that would have stood out in 3-D mode anyway.

The message of the movie was one that has stayed with me all day:  don't let the hate that other people have take away your love/joy in life.  The premise of the movie is that two different yards of garden gnomes are sworn enemies; one wearing red hats and the other wearing blue hats.  They even have slightly different accents and flowers that they love.  They 'live their lives', in a garden gnome way, isolated and hateful to those who are different.  How many stories throughout history have had this theme?  How many wars have been fought for the same reason?

OK, maybe I am over-thinking the whole thing.  But it was a good movie with a good message.  Plus, we walked out of the theater singing 'Crocodile Rock'.  My kids just can't get away from my childhood music.

No comments:

Post a Comment