Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Don't Worry, Be Happy

I am not a worrier.  I might be wrong, but I think I've always been this way.  It doesn't make sense to me to expend mental energy on something I can do absolutely nothing about anyway.  However, I know a LOT of worriers.  Chronic, anxiety ridden friends who see the worst coming in every late phone call and unmarked envelope.  It just makes me sad to see how worrying about what could happen steals the joy of what they could be experiencing right now. 

I was reminded of a song from college this morning as I was reading some Bible verses from the book of Matthew.  Jesus was telling the crowd listening to Him not to worry about what they would eat or wear, or even about what would happen tomorrow, because He would take care of them.  He did not say bad things would not happen, or that they would never have money/resource problems.  He didn't say that loved ones would never leave, or that their life would be easy.  In fact, He often told them to be prepared for tough times, particularly if they followed Him.  However, Jesus did promise to never leave them, or forsake them.  Worry just shouldn't be part of the equation, because He is there instead.

Which led me to youtube, to search out a song from my college years.  So, in the words of that great philosopher Bobby McFerrin, 'don't worry, be happy'.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

No comments:

Post a Comment